The City Clerk is appointed by the mayor and Common Council and is the custodian of all official city records, ordinances, and Common Council proceedings. Other duties of the City Clerk’s Office include:
- Administering oaths or affirmations
- Maintaining committee information
- Preparing Common Council agendas and minutes
- Caring for and keeping custody of the city seal
- Serves as the chief election official in administering elections
- Preparation of assessment and tax rolls
- Property tax billing and collection
- Board of Review
- Issuing licenses and permits
- Making papers and records available for inspection in accordance with the Wisconsin State Statutes 19.21-39.
The City Clerk's Office provides administrative support to the Common Council, various boards, commissions, and committees, and other departments as needed. The office is also responsible for the engagement of the public on a day to day basis.
Mission Statement The mission of the City of Middleton City Clerk’s Office is to maintain and provide public records and provide quality services to the Common Council, city staff, and to the citizens of the City of Middleton. The City Clerk’s Office is dedicated to service excellence in an efficient, effective, and professional manner.
The vision of the City Clerk’s Office is to become known for the exceptional service we bring to the citizens, the City Council, our colleagues, and to our profession.